Thursday, December 22, 2005

Christmas...Buh Humbug!

Ok, I have to say I am a total Scrooge when it comes to Christmas. I won't even listen to Christmas music until December 1st-and even that's pushing it. I hate going out into all the crowds and I HATE how commerical it's become.

You wouldn't have known it a few years ago. When I was first married my house looked like Christmas threw up in it! I had decorations everywhere! I mean I had lights all over inside and out. I had garlands, I had Christmas villages, I had stockings hung with care. You name it, it screamed Christmas, I had it.

Now pretty much all I do is get a tree (real of course-that's where I draw the line), string a few strands of lights on it and add a couple ornaments. That's about it. I haven't even dug out my kids stockings yet! I'm thinking of actually using their regular socks this year. I wonder if they would notice? I mean as long as there is something in it does it really matter to kids?

Don't get me wrong,I'm not a total Scrooge. I do love buying things for people I know. I love getting things that I know my kids will love. I love seeing their faces on Christmas morning. All of that is great.

I just think every year the commercialized side of it gets worse and worse and we tend to forget more and more "the reason for the season."

Or it may just be that I'm a grump.

5 comments:

Sister Pottymouth said...

A hearty welcome to the blog community, and an even heartier AMEN SISTER!!! I dread decorating almost as much as I dread undecorating, so I try not to put up too much. This year, I'm not putting the presents under the tree until AFTER the kids get up and see nothing underneath. I guess I'm going for the shock value to emphasize the true meaning of Christmas.

NiHao said...

I have to agree with your comments regarding the over commercialization of Christmas (are we allowed to say that word anymore?). Christmas seems to retain a special spirit when we pause to remember why we get into this gift giving business in the first place.

I don't think your children would have been too thrilled to see their every day socks hung by your fireplace - although I would have loved to have seen their faces when they saw them. I'm sure it would have been akin to a surprise visit to the doctor's offce for a shot shot(Shot!? shot!?...what shot?)

I am always amazed (and not in a good way) at my children rolling their eyes when I put in the DVD with a portrayal of Christ's birth. Have a failed as a parent or am I raising two anti-christs? I hope neither. Perhaps as they get older they will come to realize what Christmas is all about.

dalene said...

Maybe it's because I am a Christmas baby, but I love Christmas with all its trimmings. My house is still decorated for Christmas and I'm tempted to leave it that way, at least until Valentine's Day. While I am opposed to the commercialization of Christmas, my protest is lodged by deliberately NOT shopping the day after Thanksgiving (that is not the way to begin a season of thanks and worship).

As for the lingering Christmas decorations, which I know are superficial, but which I enjoy nonetheless, I'm not quite sure why, but I know it's for one of two reasons or a little of both:

One, it's kind of in tribute to a friend who died recently, but who truly, as they once said of Scrooge, knew how to keep Christmas and keep it well. Only she lived her entire life keeping the Christmas spirit year around. Two, I realized today that if I keep it all up till I finish reading the Book of Mormon I can diminish somewhat the guilt I've been carrying about not yet having finished it. In some non-technical way I could say that I still finished it around Christmas.

Lessel Peeper said...

Gotta get in a quick jab...

Nihao, if your kids are anti-christs I'm sure it comes from their mother's side. :-)

Amen Lesleigh. We live across from the Grandview Las Vegas. My neighbor doesn't go nuts like some of the other people on the hill, but she has lights for everything. Cristmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, 4th of July, Pioneer Day, and Thanksgiving (to name a few).

As a cat owner, a real tree is out of the question. Once they realize that we have a real tree, my cat's would probably figure it's "just like outside" and leave me stinky little presents.

Lessel Peeper said...

BTW, if I didn't understand that Tamron was a lens, I might be afraid to post anything here. :-)