Saturday, January 11, 2014

Day One (Again)

From about Thanksgiving until now things have been pretty crazy...for everyone I'm sure. I've been so busy; each night felt like it had something going on. Food was either treats people brought by or I made, followed by dinners of fast food. Add on a stressful December at work and it was all a bad recipe-especially for an emotional eater like me. 

Also in November and December I stopped exercising as much or as hard. The days became short and the weather became cold so I had to stop running outside. I use to be able to run on the treadmill for miles but the more I've run outside the harder it is to run on the treadmill. As time went on I became so stressed and full of junk food it became harder and harder to work out. I grew slower and tired out so easy. Because of all of this the amount I exercised got smaller and smaller. 

And I felt all of this. I felt it in my body. And it didn't feel good. Unfortunately I didn't listen to my body for a long time. Finally yesterday I listened. I was exhausted and I felt sick to my stomach. I actually thought about quitting in the middle of my exercise workout-something I've never done even when I first started. I finally realized I needed to stop. I needed to rethink what I was doing and get back to what had made me feel good; what had made my body feel good. 

So today I started over...again. I'm back to tracking everything I eat on my Weight Watchers food log. Back to eating more veggies and fruits and less treats. Back to taking exercise seriously...or seriously exercising. 

I'm writing this because I've heard if you write things down you're more apt to accomplish them. I also writing this because I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ever "fallen off the wagon." I'm sure there are others that have had the same problem I had during the holidays and feel like they just can't get back on track.

Man man lai. It's a Chinese phrase my husband learned while on his mission in Taiwan and it's one I've never forgotten. Literally I think it means slowly, slowly coming. But to me it means take it easy, no need to worry, let's take this step by step, little by little you'll make it. I love it. Man man lai. 

So that's what I'm doing. Going back to step one; day one. Man man lai...I'll get back to where I want to be again one of these days. I've done it before so I know I can do it again. And I know you can too. 

No comments: